[fitsbits] start of Public Comment Period on the INHERIT convention

Demitri Muna demitri.muna at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 00:03:35 EDT 2015

On Jun 23, 2015, at 2:56 PM, William Pence <William.Pence at nasa.gov> wrote:

> It seems to me that the motivation for using the INHERIT convention to save what typically amounts to less than a few 100K bytes of disk space per file is now greatly diminished from when it was first developed back in 1995, since the cost of disk storage has dropped so dramatically.

I agree with this. It seems like a lot of effort, complication, and obfuscation for what is of seemingly negligible gain. Further, it's just too easy for someone to add a keyword to a PHDU without noticing or thinking about the INHERIT keyword, inadvertently setting metadata for all other HDUs. Even a disk space savings of 1MB per file isn't worth it, and I think cases where pure headers are taking up much more than that are outliers.

I am opposed to this proposal.

Cheers,
Demitri

Demitri Muna