[fitsbits] updates to the FITS standard document

Erik Bray embray at stsci.edu
Tue Jun 23 18:59:40 EDT 2015

On 06/22/2015 09:19 PM, Mark Calabretta wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jun 2015 10:16:41 -0400
> Erik Bray <embray at stsci.edu> wrote:
>
> Erik,
>
>> I believe that the INHERIT keyword convention, in particular, is *not* familiar
>> to most users of FITS in large part because many readers ignore it, and it is
>> benign when ignored.
>
> Given the context, I take it that you meant to say "malign" here,
> rather than "benign".

No, I did mean that it is benign when ignored.  STScI is, I'm told, partially
responsible for creating this keyword in the first place.  And yet even STScI's
own FITS software has almost always chosen to ignore its presence.

I suppose if you absolutely needed the keyword to be heeded, ignoring it would
be a problem.  But the common consensus seems to have been that *not* ignoring
it causes even more problems.  So as it is there is some custom software that
checks for INHERIT where it does matter for some particular instrument's data
model.  But for generic FITS files it doesn't seem to be a big deal.

Erik