[fitsbits] start of Public Comment Period on the Green Bank convention

Bob Garwood bgarwood at nrao.edu
Mon Jun 22 12:28:00 EDT 2015

DATE-OBS was standard practice in 1989.  The single dish FITS convention
could use to be update to modern practice (including modern WCS syntax).

TDIMx indicates the shape of the spectra.  Included as a column to
accommodate the case where the number of channels varies slightly from
row to row.  TFORMx indicates the total number of elements in the
column.  I would advise anyone to never make TFORMx a column - as it's
use as a keyword is required and the Green Bank convention is unclear
what is to be done if the same name appears as both a keyword and a column.

The Green Bank convention is really simply the last sentence of that pdf:

> This concept of expanding a keyword into a table column (or conversely,
> collapsing a column of identical values into a single header keyword)
> is now
> generally known as the Green Bank keyword convention.

All of the rest is merely use case and historical.  The draft changes to
the standard seem to be both a statement of the general Green Bank
convention (the final paragraph of the new 8.2.1, which as noted here
should use some other example besides DATE-OBS) and a specific
discussion as to how one might make use of the Green Bank convention
when storing multiple images within a table.  But WCS paper I already
covers that (and it also mentions the Green Bank convention) so I would
think that any changes to the FITS standard related to the image
coordinate axes as done in 8.2.1 would be more correct to talk about WCS
paper I (I haven't looked through the standard in detail in some time,
so I'm not sure if that's already been done elsewhere) rather than the
Green Bank convention and if the Green Bank convention is to be included
by name that it be limited to just the simple statement above perhaps
with a simple example (what the DATE-OBS value is trying to do, but
obviously with something more appropriate than DATE-OBS).

Bob