[fitsbits] start of Public Comment Period on the Green Bank convention

Bob Garwood bgarwood at nrao.edu
Mon Jun 22 11:29:49 EDT 2015

As hinted at in the text, the Green Bank convention was invented at a
meeting to discuss the interchange of calibrated single dish spectral
line data between data analysis packages.  There, the individual
"images" are single spectra where the non-degenerate axis is
frequency-like (including velocity) and pointing direction on the sky
and polarization (STOKES) are indicate by additional, degenerate axes.
There's also a few keywords needed beyond the standard image keywords to
describe the data.  It was recognized early on that writing these as
single images leads to lots of overhead, bloating the data and making
bookkeeping harder across multiple files (the image extension also did
not exist at the time).  So, the decision was made to package these in
the very-new-to-FITS binary table format, carrying over the standard
image header keywords as columns.

In order to further save space, it was decided that for column values
that don't change from row to row in the table that you could represent
those columns as keywords.  They called these virtual columns.  There's
no indication in the FITS file that this convention is in use.  (the
single dish FITS convention makes use of the Green Bank convention, but
that has a separate signature via the EXTNAME value).

I'm not sure I see the need to add this to the standard as it's more a
question as to how a consumer of this table uses that information.  A
general reader should just present things as keywords and columns as
written.  As a consumer, I've written code that presents things opaquely
to downstream code so that when the downstream code asks for a value it
doesn't need to know whether that value is stored as a full column or as
a keyword - it expands the keyword to a constant valued vector as
necessary to satisfy the request, for example.  But I don't think I want
the general purpose underlying reader to do that for me.

Bob