[fitsbits] REFERENC keyword, etc.

van Nieuwenhoven, Richard Richard.vanNieuwenhoven at adesso.at
Wed Jul 22 05:38:48 EDT 2015

in other cases (in the java world ;-) ) we used URI protocols for such
cases:

http://dx.doi.org/10.xxx/xxxxxx -> doi://xxx/xxxxxx
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/xxxxx -> adsabs://xxxxx

and then write in the fits standard how to resolve the uri to an url. In
most programming languages this can be done in a library without the
user's knowing the difference. The user can just open the connection to
doi://xxx/xxxxxx in his usual way.

This way the reference can be adapted easily if the urls change, without
the fits files becoming invalid.

Of course manual readers, will have to lookup the ref in the documentation.

    Ritchie

Am 2015-07-21 um 19:25 schrieb Joe Hourcle:

> On Tue, 21 Jul 2015, William Thompson wrote:
>
>> But even persistent URLs aren't guaranteed to still exist 20 years
>> from now, while published literature is expected to remain around for
>> centuries.
>>
>> I'm all for including a pointer to an informational web page (i.e.
>> INFO_URL), but this should be backed up with links to the published
>> literature.
>

> I admit, I felt the same way when I first saw the recommendation for
> 'actionable DOIs' in citations, but I've come to realize that most
> people have no idea what to do with DOIs or bibcodes other than type
> them into Google.  Of course, that assumes that they don't just gloss
> right over them, not even aware that it's an identifier that could be
> resolved.
>
> Although PURLs might not persist 100+, there's at least a level of
> committment.  In most cases, it's a group committment, so if one
> organization folds, there's still someone else that can take over.
>
> I'm more confident about HTTP than other protocols right now, simply
> because it's been in use for 20+ years at this point, and there are
> groups actively working on crawling and archiving HTTP sites.  Just last
> month, there was a conference on the topic:
>
>     https://library.columbia.edu/bts/web_resources_collection/Conferences/program.html

> I want to be able to mint DOIs, but I want to be using resolvable URLs:
>
>     http://dx.doi.org/10.xxx/xxxxxx
>
> For bibcodes, I'd recommend:
>
>     http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/xxxxx

> If we don't trust these two groups to persist, then another option would
> be for the FITS community to set up a resolver that they manage, which
> would be trusted sufficiently to use in FITS headers.
>
> If you go that route, I'd advise hosting it somewhere other than a US
> government site, both due to paperwork and the coming crackdown against
> HTTP on .gov sites.
>
> Yes, you could use HTTPS in place of HTTP for identifiers, but I've just
> seen way to many unmaintained SSL certificates out there that it'd
> likely cause more problems than any benefit gained.
>
> -Joe

>>> I had brought up REFERENC for this use a while back, and I was told that
>>> it's from the Vizier project, where when they extracted the data from
>>> the
>>> arcticles, and in the resulting FITS files, they put a reference back to
>>> the paper (in this case, a bibcode).

>>> I've been trying to get access to mint DOIs through the EOSDIS here
>>> at Goddard
>>> -- I likely need to ping them again, as I was told they'd have to
>>> discuss it
>>> with some other people.
>>>
>>> As an alternative to DOIs, we could also use PURLs, which are
>>> 'persistent
>>> URLs'.  Basically, you have a DSN name that's used to redirect
>>> people, so that
>>> you only have to make sure that one site stays up.  Should the site
> [...]

BSc Richard van Nieuwenhoven
Software Architekt

adesso Austria GmbH
floridotower 26. Stock              T +43 1 2198790-0
Foridsdorfer Hauptstr. 1            F +43 1 2198790-13
A-1210 Wien                         H +43 664 88614710
                                    E richard.vannieuwenhoven at adesso.at
                                    www.adesso.at