[fitsbits] start of Public Comment Period on the INHERIT convention

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Wed Jul 1 14:40:22 EDT 2015

I make it a practice never to disagree with Frank :-)

Regarding the cubing of data, many might suggest that all axes should be coherent independent variables, e.g., spatial X & Y plus wavelength.  Stacking different tiles from a focal plane is as non-physical a representation as anything out there.

In general MEFs are combined into output 2-D mosaics and the software that does so is known as a “pipeline” (with complex pixel remapping, etc.) ;-)  Whether the individual pixel arrays are *input* as separate files, as MEFs, as cubes or anything else is an implementation detail.  The goal is to recreate a snapshot of the focal plane which is itself a representation of the sky.  As Steve says it is commonplace for issues of optical, electrical and digital engineering to seap through to the data engineering.

Doing physics with FITS should trump FITS metaphysics.

Rob
—