[fitsbits] start of Public Comment Period on the INHERIT convention

Arnold Rots arots at cfa.harvard.edu
Wed Jul 1 14:07:37 EDT 2015

I am returning to Bill's sentiment - it saves me from rehashing the
arguments
(hm, this might be considered a form of inheriting these comments:-)

I think INHERIT is a bad idea, in short, because of the complications when
interpreting, modifying, and copying HDUs. As the standard currently stands,
each HDU is self-contained and I think that is a good thing.

As an aside, I wonder how many of the multi-image FITS files could be
combined
into an image cube.

Cheers,

  - Arnold

Arnold H. Rots                                          Chandra X-ray
Science Center
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory                   tel:  +1 617 496
7701
60 Garden Street, MS 67                                      fax:  +1 617
495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138
arots at cfa.harvard.edu
USA