[fitsbits] REFERENC keyword, etc.

Lucio Chiappetti lucio at lambrate.inaf.it
Mon Aug 10 12:50:34 EDT 2015

On Mon, 20 Jul 2015, William Thompson wrote:

> In our community we've been discussing the need for including
> information in the FITS header about the instrument that produced the
> data.  The FITS standard describes the keyword REFERENC which ...

Just back from holidays, answering to this (for me) marginal thread before
plunging in the rest of the FITS and non FITS backlog is easier.

Contrary to the rest of the thread which concentrates on the right hand
side (keyword value, bibcode, DoI or URL), I concentrate on the left hand
side (keyword name).

> One possible set of keywords which have occurred to me are:
>
> INS_REF Instrument description paper
> CAL_REF Instrument calibration paper

If we had defined long keyword names one could think of the more legible
REFERENCe_instrument and REFERENCe_calibration ...

... REFERENC is anyhow a commentary-sort-of kwd. There would be nothing
wrong in having multiple REFERENC, like one has multiple HISTORY or
COMMENT (but they are explicitly allowed)

... why not make it simple and just put the references in a bunch of
COMMENT keywords ?

Just my 0.02 eurocent.