[fitsbits] Associating ancillary data with primary HDU

Stein Vidar Hagfors Haugan s.v.h.haugan at astro.uio.no
Fri May 23 16:36:30 EDT 2014

On 2014/05/23, at 16:31, William Pence <William.Pence at nasa.gov> wrote:

> You say that you have a preference for regular extensions (which I assume means 'IMAGE' extension),

Actually, it's not so much a preference one way of the other for *me*... the only one leaning (at least moderately) strongly towards IMAGE(*) extensions over BINTABLEs is Mats. Since he's my boss, I have to argue at least somewhat on his behalf ;-).

*) Taking the hint from Rob Seaman that there's nothing irregular about BINTABLES ;-)

> but binary tables offer a very natural way of associating variables by writing the values in different columns of the table.  In your example the main column in the table would contain the (120, 120, 500) data cube as a vector, then the 'XPOSURE' column could contain the vector of 500 exposure values, and other columns could could contain (120, 120) vectors of values that vary in the X, Y plane.  This table would only have one row, but in principle you could store multiple observations in multiple rows (e.g., all the spectral window extracts from a single observation could be in one table).  With this arrangement it would then be easy for software to determine if a keyword such as XPOSURE has a scalar value (in which case it is written as a header keyword) or is a vector (in which case it is written as a vector column).  Everything associated with that observation is stored in a single binary table, so this completely eliminates the need to invent new complicated conventions for associating different extensions with each other.

At least initially, it seems to make a lot of sense to use a BINTABLE, since the TTYPEn keywords would be a natural way to signal which "keywords" are scalar vs. arrays, in the header itself, without introducing any new keywords. But:

- Someone might (already) use TTYPEn equal to a "keyword" name without intending this convention to be used.

- I don't see a good way of making this work seamlessly for multiple IMAGE [data] extensions. We want the ability to both:

a) Have multiple IMAGE extensions take their "array keywords" from a global pool, to share them, conserving space - e.g. XPOSURE time might be the same array for all IMAGE extensions. The use of one row per IMAGE extension, as you suggest, does not work for that.

b) Have each IMAGE extensions have a "private" instance of an "array keyword", for "keywords" that are *not* the same for all IAMGE extensions. For some instruments, XPOSURE could be identical for one collection of IMAGE extensions, but another group of IMAGE extensions could have a different array of XPOSURE values. Using a simple rule like TTYPEn="keyword-name" and a single row doesn't work for this case.

Ah, such is life ;-).

And it seems you're proposing to have the data cubes themselves as columns in the BINTABLE... that would not allow other keywords to be different for each data cube, right? Unless they are all stuffed into the same scheme (ugh)? Isn't this (at least one of the reasons) why the IMAGE extension was created? I suppose that's sort of not a requirement for using the BINTABLE approach in itself...?

> As an additional enhancement, if you find that the vectors in multiple rows of the table have identical values, you could write the vector once into a variable length array column, then all the other multiple instances of that vector could point to that same vector, to save on disk space.

Oh... I guess this *could* take care of it, using BINTABLES? I've never seen or heard of a variable-length array column, though, and certainly have no idea how to make one row's column value point to another row's value for the same column (if I've understood correctly). Actually, I've only ever used single-row tables, stuffing whatever dimensionality is required into each column.

Bill - are there IDL routines that could handle such a scheme?

And to all - is such a scheme something that's "widely used", in the sense that most common fits libraries have this feature built in?

We'd like to keep this relatively simple... and I'm not sure that last bit qualifies in that sense :-)

Anyhow, all of the above issues are catered for by using e.g. TABULATE = "KEYWORD1[EXTNAME1],KEYWORD2[EXTNAME2],..." in each IMAGE extension, since the association is given explicityly for each IMAGE extension. It could, of course, also be given as "KEYWORD[colnum1],KEYWORD[colnum2]" etc, where colnum indicates the relevant BINTABLE column.

Sincerely,
Stein Haugan