[fitsbits] Associating ancillary data with primary HDU

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Fri May 23 11:34:04 EDT 2014

On Fri 2014-05-23T07:19:08 -0700, Rob Seaman hath writ:
> So in this case you wouldn't necessarily be denoting the quantity as
> a FITS keyword token like "XPOSURE" but rather as "exposure_time",
> "time.exposure", or "exptime".  (In any event it isn't clear why such
> a keyword name would be truncated since "EXPOSURE" fits into 8
> characters :-)

XPOSURE is from the FITS WCS time paper now being voted.

Much like the case where the original FITS document
specified DATE-OBS but did not define exactly when
during an exposure it should indicate, we believed that
EXPOSURE was likely to have significant prior use with
variant definitions, so we chose XPOSURE with a specific
definition.

--
Steve Allen                 <sla at ucolick.org>                WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB   Natural Sciences II, Room 165    Lat  +36.99855