[fitsbits] Stokes axis convention

William Thompson William.T.Thompson at nasa.gov
Fri Dec 19 16:11:52 EST 2014

The original WCS paper included a way of expressing Stokes parameters as one of
the dimensions of a data cube, and this has since been incorporated into version
3.0 of the FITS standard.  I was wondering to what extent this capability has
been taken up by the community.  Is it widely used?

I ask because I was looking at a rough draft of a document describing data
formatting for a solar virtual observatory being put together in Europe, and one
part of the document called for putting each Stokes parameter in a separate HDU.
  Based on the current FITS document, that would seem contrary to common and
accepted practice in the broader astronomical community, and I would like to
confirm that.

Bill Thompson

--
William Thompson