[fitsbits] start of Public Comment Period on WCS Timing Paper

William Pence William.Pence at nasa.gov
Tue Apr 22 18:34:58 EDT 2014

On 04/22/2014 04:43 AM, Lucio Chiappetti wrote:
> This is just a reminder that the Public Comment Period will remain open
> for less than a week from now.
>  http://iau-commission5.wikispaces.com/WG+FITS#curact

First, I'd encourage anyone who needs to deal with timing information in
FITS files to read this important paper on Time coordinates.  If nothing
else, it provides some interesting background on the complexities of
unambiguously recording when an event actually happened.

I just have 2 minor comments on the current 1.0 version of the paper:

1.  In section 4.0, when referring to the "Green Bank convention", one
could add a citation to the FITS Registry of conventions, at
http://fits.gsfc.nasa.gov/fits_registry.html, which provides some
background about the origin of the convention.

2.  Section 4.1.2 should prescribe what action a FITS reader should take
if a header contains both the MJDREF keyword and the MJDREFI and MJDREFF
pair of keywords (and same for the JDREF, JDREFI and JDREFF keywords).
This is clearly not recommended, but it could happen.  Should the
MJDREFI and MJDREFF keywords take precedence over MJDREF in that case?

-Bill

Dr. William Pence    Astrophysicist     William.Pence at nasa.gov
NASA/GSFC Code 662     [Emeritus]       +1-301-286-4599 (voice)
Greenbelt MD 20771                      +1-301-286-1684 (fax)