[fitsbits] Five FITS Proposals

zhe at sao.ru zhe at sao.ru
Tue Oct 29 01:42:50 EDT 2013

Dear colleagues,

It is seems that 1-3 proposals (and I think that 4 too) can only partially
deside the problem of increasing the FITS capabilities of data
descriptions. A new FITS extinsion for metadata as mentioned by Preben
Grosbol and its possible realization through the BINTABLE mechanizm as
proposed by Rob Seaman will be more universal approach and more relevant
to the FITS standard strategy.

Best regards,
Olga Zhelenkova, SAO RAS

> All,
>
> I fully agree with Rob. FITS will not be able to accommodate many of the
> issues raised. Thus I would propose to keep it as is,change very little,if
> anything and work on something that builds on the experience we have
> gained as a community with FITS and taking into account the various
> instruments that have departed from FITS already plus requirements from
> upcoming ones and also have a look what happened outside of Astronomy
> during the last 30 years. FITS has an enormous legacy value as it is and
> we should not risk this by trying to squeeze some things in which would
> only address some of the more fundamental issues which had appeared during
> all these years.
>
> Cheers
> Andreas
>
> Rob Seaman <seaman at noao.edu> wrote:
>>On Oct 23, 2013, at 10:13 AM, William Pence <William.Pence at nasa.gov>
>>wrote:
>>
>>> During the recent FITS Birds-of-a-Feather session at the ADASS
>>meeting on Sept 30th, there was some discussion about the shortcomings
>>of the current FITS format.
>>
>>I missed the BoF but have read the discussion on the associated mailing
>>list.  They are writing up a white paper with extensive
>>not-very-appreciative comments.  It would be best to separate the
>>characterization of the perceived problem space from entertaining
>>possible solutions.  Not only is it likely that there will continue to
>>be disagreement on the nature of the requirements for astronomical data
>>format(s), but it seems to me their comments have already exceeded the
>>flexibility of FITS.
>>
>>Rather, a prudent course would be to continue to support FITS in its
>>current form, including conservative evolutionary steps building on the
>>registry of conventions.  And *also* pursue a shiny new astronomical
>>data standard meeting needs similar to those discussed.  (And may such
>>a format be half as successful as FITS has been :-)
>>
>>> This discussion has motivated me to consider what relatively simple
>>changes could be made to FITS to address some of the most commonly
>>heard complaints.  After some discussions with a few of my colleagues,
>>I've drafted 5 specific proposals that should be fairly simple to
>>implement:
>>>
>>> 1.  Allow longer keyword names
>>> 2.  Allow arbitrarily long character string keyword values
>>> 3.  Allow additional characters in keyword names
>>> 4.  Introduce a new FITS version keyword