[fitsbits] FW: FITS future

Robert J. Hanisch hanisch at stsci.edu
Fri Oct 25 09:08:28 EDT 2013

I share the general reluctance to make significant changes to FITS at this point in time.  As others have already noted, the reasons people are starting to use other formats has less to do with the constraints of FITS headers and more to do with file sizes and encoding complex relationships between data objects.

I read the Thomas et al. poster, plus a longer version of that work that Brian sent to me.  I suggested to Brian that the criticisms of FITS need to be turned around into a set of goals or requirements for a successor.  I think it's worth sharing that message with the rest of you.

Bob