[fitsbits] FITS Mime Type for gzipped bintable

Lucio Chiappetti lucio at lambrate.inaf.it
Tue Jun 11 10:20:44 EDT 2013

On Tue, 11 Jun 2013, Steve Allen wrote:

> On Tue 2013-06-11T09:36:04 -0400, Arnold Rots hath writ:

>> For image and tar there are such options but not for bintable
>> image/x-fits-gzip                   A GZIP-compressed FITS image
>> application/x-tar-gzip            A GZIP-compressed TAR file

> RFC 4047 defines none of these, and with the IANA everything
> starting with "x-" is not actually registered as a media type.

In fact *OUR* RCF4047 defines only image/fits and application/fits.
And has one or more notes saying

Encoding considerations: binary

    FITS files can be quite large.  When transferred via HTTP it may be
    efficient for the transaction to make use of content-coding or
    transfer-coding values such as "gzip", "compress", or "deflate".

Therefore "image/x-fits-gzip" is not one of MIME types we defined. Being
it an "x-" I suspect it is a "private extension", which is legitimate but
"use at one's own risk". And apparently seems misleading with respect to
RFC4047.

(but I'm not a MIME guru ...)