[fitsbits] [mhvk at astro.utoronto.ca: Question about FITS format for logarithmic units]

Peter Weilbacher pweilbacher at aip.de
Thu Dec 12 03:57:34 EST 2013

Hi Marten,

On Wed, 11 Dec 2013, Marten van Kerkwijk wrote:

> Anyway, while the above discussion is very interesting,

I had understood the discussion so far such that you shouldn't do what
you are planning to do in the way that you want to do it. I wouldn't
brush the points that were raised aside as easily.

But since are are determined to do it anyway, I can at least try to
address this one:

> (1) How would I indicate a dimensionless but logarithmic quantity such
>     as dex? If I understood the standard correctly, log(surface gravity)
>     might have the unit "log(cm/s2)", but how about a dimensionless one
>     (like metallicity).  Would it be "log()", or, by analogy with
>     magnitude, just "log"?

If something has no unit that the unit could be viewer to be unity.
Hence I would say use log(1). Leaving the argument empty would otherwise
probably break parsers.

   Peter.
--
Dr. Peter Weilbacher                http://www.aip.de/People/PWeilbacher
Phone +49 331 74 99-667                       encryption key ID 7D6B4AA0

Vorstand: Prof. Dr. Matthias Steinmetz, Dr. Ulrich Müller
Stiftung bürgerlichen Rechts, Stiftungsverz. Brandenburg: 26 742-00/7026