[fitsbits] polar coordinates

William Thompson William.T.Thompson at nasa.gov
Wed Dec 11 14:13:57 EST 2013

We have a similar situation in solar astronomy.  One commonly used
coordinate system expresses coordinates in elongation angle from Sun
center, and the position angle counter-clockwise from the solar north
pole.  To work this into the WCS, I had to map the elongation angle E
into a latitude defined as E-90, i.e. make Sun-center the south pole of
the system.  I chose the south pole instead of the north pole, so that
the angle still increased in the usual fashion.  It's not an optimal
solution, but it does make it WCS-compatible.

The part about taking the log of the polar angle should be fairly easy
to incorporate into WCS.  This is just a new spherical projection, which
would have to be properly defined and signaled with a unique projection
code.  There is a precedent to adding new projections which are
otherwise compatible with the WCS formalism.

Bill Thompson