[fitsbits] [mhvk at astro.utoronto.ca: Question about FITS format for logarithmic units]

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Tue Dec 10 08:11:20 EST 2013

Hello Marten,

I look forward to reading others' comments on your specific questions.  You mention an A&A article, but don't say which one of several.  I wonder if you are aware of a couple of general references?  First the current FITS standard is at:

	http://fits.gsfc.nasa.gov/fits_standard.html

(It is possible you are referring to the published version of this.)

And copious other FITS documentation is available from:

	http://fits.gsfc.nasa.gov/fits_documentation.html

But one reason units are not discussed more extensively in the FITS standard is that the issue is broader than FITS usage.  The IVOA (an activity of the IAU) is working on the problem of expressing units:

	http://wiki.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/Dec2013VOUnitsRFC/PR-VOUnits-1.0-20131025.pdf

(Note this is a draft standard.)

All that said, my own suggestion for denoting AB magnitudes would be "AB mag" (or perhaps mag(AB), etc).  The construction of such a quantity is quite complex and involves recipes for calibrating the data onto an even per-frequency scale, as well as applying filter curves, before the question of the logarithm (with scale factor and offset) ever comes up.

You don't say, but it may also matter whether you are discussing populating a (binary) pixel array with such quantities versus expressing an (ASCII) header keyword or (ASCII or binary) table entry.  To some extent all pixel arrays contain just "data numbers" and the units are DN.  Converting from these to calibrated units isn't just a recipe, it's an entire cookbook.  For instance, a synonym for DN is often ADU (for "analog to digital units").  Implicit in that is a non-parametric quantization process.  Not to mention whether the binary quantities are 2's complement ints versus IEEE floats or other more boutique representations.

The logarithm is only one possible such function, of course.  For instance, "square-rooting":

	http://arxiv.org/pdf/0910.3733.pdf

Which introduces issues of the proper representation of noise and variance, not just of signal.

The existence of all this complexity raises the question of the actual science use cases implicit in "ensur[ing] that units can be read from and written to fits format correctly in the astropy package".  Which is to say that I think most astronomers would find "AB mag" to be most expressive if receiving such a file, whether FITS or not.

I haven't checked the dimensional analysis of your "-2.5*log(10^(-0.4*48.6) mW/(m2*Hz))", but the fundamental question is whether such an expression conveys the concept more usefully and permanently than "AB mag" would, either to human practitioners, or to downstream computer services or libraries which might have to parse that string.

Rob Seaman
National Optical Astronomy Observatory
Tucson, AZ