[fitsbits] New FITS Library for JavaScript

Amit Kapadia amit at zooniverse.org
Thu Nov 15 12:59:39 EST 2012

Hi all,

This is my first post to the FITS community.  I'd like to share a JavaScript library for reading FITS files.  The benefit of this library is that we can now interact with FITS files when developing web applications.  For the first time we can read the contents of this format on the client side.  Currently the library supports reading of:

Multiple header data units
Images
Data Cubes
Binary and ASCII Tables
Compressed Images (using the Rice algorithm)

The library is hosted on GitHub:
https://github.com/astrojs/fitsjs

Documentation may be found at:
http://astrojs.github.com/fitsjs/

Feel free to write me if you have any questions.  I look forward to seeing the community utilize this resource.

Amit