[fitsbits] Primary & Alternate WCS Keyword Order

Mark Calabretta mark at calabretta.id.au
Fri Jun 29 10:10:20 EDT 2012

On Thu 2012/06/28 16:21:25 -0400, William Pence wrote
in a message to: "fitsbits at listmgr.cv.nrao.edu" <fitsbits at nrao.edu>

>Based on the lengthy discussion of this issue here, I have modified the
>on-line FITS file verifier at http://fits.gsfc.nasa.gov/fits_verify.html
>to temporarily disabled any checks on the position of the WCSAXESa
>keywords (where a = A-Z) in FITS headers.  It seems that requiring that
>all the WCSAXESa keywords appear before ANY other WCS keyword goes
>beyond what was intended.  For now at least, the FITS verifier still
>requires that the WCSAXES keyword itself (without an alternate suffix
>letter) appear before any other WCS keyword, but the alternate WCSAXESa
>keywords may appear anywhere.

Can you check that WCSAXESa appears before the other WCS keywords for
alternate 'a'?  And also treat the primary and alternates equally in
this regard?

I would not make it a requirement (as per the standard) but only an
advisiory.

Regards, Mark