[fitsbits] Primary & Alternate WCS Keyword Order

William Pence William.Pence at nasa.gov
Tue Jun 26 16:00:41 EDT 2012

Regarding the ordering of FITS header keywords, it's interesting to note
that other than the 9 mandatory structural FITS keywords that must
appear in a specific order (SIMPLE, XTENSION, BITPIX, NAXIS, NAXISn,
PCOUNT, GCOUNT, TFIELDS, and END), WCSAXES is the only other keyword
defined in the FITS Standard that has any restrictions on the position
that it can have in the header.   Maybe this requirement was useful back
in the days of having to read FITS files sequentially off of magnetic
tape, but now I think it is hard to justification why this one keyword
should have this special positional requirement?

-Bill