[fitsbits] Primary & Alternate WCS Keyword Order

Lucio Chiappetti lucio at lambrate.inaf.it
Mon Jun 25 10:10:48 EDT 2012

> I fully agree on those statements. Usual FITS handling libraries allows
> random access to headers, so order is not an issue.

There are not only libraries, but also humans reading FITS headers !
And in that case having SOME understandable order helps !

>> A major instrument being commissioned has randomly ordered keywords in
>> each header, has randomly ordered HDUs, and ...

This seems something that will be no problem for a smart software
accessing things by name, but will cause hiccups to any human operator
trying to use the data "manually".

I believe a PRACTICAL COMPROMISE would be that the standard itself does
not dictate too strict positioning requirements (well, the mandatory kwds
at beginning are there, and EVEN the fixed form for some of them, and
"once FITS forever FITS"), i.e. mean ON THE READING S/W ... but reasonable
practice groups keywords in an order (any order) which makes life easy to
an human operator.

This could be for instance the mandatory kwds first, then for a BINTABLE
things like TFIELD and then all TFORMs, all TTYPs, all TUNITs in numeric
order (but might also be, the TFORM, TTYP, TUNIT etc. of column 1, then
those of column 2 etc.). Or for any file with multiple WCSs, all kwds of
WCS 1 (blank) first, then all those of WCSa, then those of WCSb.

In this respect the requirement on WCSAXES coming first (the issue which
started this thread) could sensibly be interpreted as applying internally
to each WCS (i.e. making Bill's 3a/3b legal)

>> There may be higher order implications such as the inheritance issues
>> you mentioned.

Well, I understood there was NO inheritance issue among different WCSs
which are all independent.

Inheritance among HDUs is subject of specific conventions, isn't it ?