[fitsbits] ATNF/NRAO codes for polarization

Tom Kuiper kuiper at jpl.nasa.gov
Sun Dec 16 18:48:22 EST 2012

Thanks for the quick responses.  I'll try to answer the points raised.

Peter, I agree that definitions would be needed.  I don't have strong
feelings about what they are, since you can usually get one from
another, except possibly (N-1) which is usually close enough to N not to
matter.

The reason for the higher moments (responding also to Thierry) is that
I'm now writing code to record data from electrostatic discharges (on
Mars, for now, others later?) which have non-Gaussian signal
statistics.  So far, kurtosis only tells us that the signal is
non-Gaussian.  I'm hoping that with higher order moments, we may be able
to figure out what the signal statistics are, approximately.  That's
just a hope so far and our firmware currently doesn't computer higher
orders but that's the goal.

Brian, a separate axis seems like a good idea that I should have
considered.  Currently we only compute RR* and LL* but cross-products
should be considered too.  Unless I come back to this forum, I'll do
that instead and leave the polarization codes alone.

Best regard,

Tom