[fitsbits] Appropriate BUNIT for ADUs vs electrons?

William Thompson William.T.Thompson at nasa.gov
Fri Mar 4 17:49:49 EST 2011

The word "counts" implies a quantity which behaves stochastically with a Poisson
distribution.  In general, I wouldn't have any problem using the term counts at
low photon energies, where only one photo-electron is created in any photon
event.  At higher energies however, such as in the extreme-ultraviolet, several
photo-electrons are typically created for each detected photon, so "counts"
wouldn't apply there.

Bill Thompson