[fitsbits] Publishing FITS conventions on arXiv?

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Mon Dec 5 15:32:33 EST 2011

On Dec 5, 2011, at 10:48 AM, Dick Shaw wrote:

> I feel compelled to pick the following nit. The official FITS standard is
> published at http://fits.gsfc.nasa.gov/fits_standard.html. While v3.0 was
> reproduced in A&A, it is strictly speaking not correct to say that this is the
> standard. From the text of the Foreward:
>
> "We caution that this presentation of the standard is for the
> convenience of the community, and that it may be superseded
> by newer versions. We refer the reader to the extensive set of
> resources on the FITS Support Office at NASA/GSFC web site1
> which contains the latest version of the standard document as
> well as a comprehensive collection of FITS-related documents,
> software for validating and viewing FITS files, and sample FITS
> files from a variety of sources."

This is an interesting discussion and perhaps amounts to more than a nit, however it is a different interesting discussion than I was seeking to have.

> That said, it may well be worthwhile for authors of the conventions to publish
> their FITS conventions on arXiv, provided is clear to the readers that said
> conventions are not officially part of the standard. This would certainly
> raise the profile of the conventions in the research community.

This was a good idea for the IVOA recommendations (wherever their normative versions reside) and I think the same logic would apply to the FITS conventions, perhaps even more strongly since they don't otherwise have a normative version, being merely conventional and not otherwise published at all.

Rob