[fitsbits] Potential new compression method for FITS tables

William Pence William.Pence at nasa.gov
Wed Dec 22 13:02:43 EST 2010

The idea of creating a new FITS extension type based on the contents of
a FITS table has been suggested in the past.  For instance, when the
hierarchical grouping convention was developed (in the 1990s?) there was
a suggestion to create a new 'GROUPING' extension that would in fact be
identical to the structure of a BINTABLE extension, but in the end it
was agreed to use the BINTABLE extension for this purpose.

The FITS standard currently defines 3 standard extension types - IMAGE,
ASCII table, and BINTABLE - which represent 3 distinctly different types
of containers for storing and organizing data.  The intention in FITS
(as stated in section 3.4.2 of the standard) is to only define one type
of container for a given type of data organization.  In the current case
of this prototype table compression method, the compressed table has the
same overall organization as in the original uncompressed  binary table
(i.e., the compressed table contains rows and columns of data, and also
makes use of the variable length array convention within binary tables).
  It would violate the spirit of FITS, in my opinion, to create a new
type of container that duplicates the structure of an existing container
type, simply because the contents of the container is different.

I think there are much simpler and less invasive ways to mitigate any
confusion by end users of compressed tables (if in fact they are ever
widely used, which I think is still an open question).  As mentioned
before, COMMENT keywords can be added to the header to explain that that
the table is in compressed format and provide instructions on how to
uncompress it.  There are other possibilities as well.  Since most
software applications identify a particular table extension by the
EXTNAME keyword, we could perhaps modify the EXTNAME value so that
unsuspecting software would not recognize it.  For example, if the
uncompressed table has EXTNAME = 'EVENTS', then this could be modified
in the compressed table to be EXTNAME = 'COMPRESSED EVENTS' (or
something similar).  The original EXTNAME value would be restored when
the table is uncompressed.

In any case, I don't think this is a major problem in the long run.
Either this compressed table idea will never be widely used, of if it
is, then the major FITS table readers (such as CFITSIO and fv) will be
adapted to transparently support this compressed format.

regards,
Bill

Dr. William Pence                       William.Pence at nasa.gov
NASA/GSFC Code 662       HEASARC        +1-301-286-4599 (voice)
Greenbelt MD 20771                      +1-301-286-1684 (fax)