[fitsbits] Automated FITS correction tools?

William Pence William.Pence at nasa.gov
Fri Dec 3 15:20:15 EST 2010

Rob,

First, I would hope that fitsverify
(http://fits.gsfc.nasa.gov/fits_verify.html) is able to identify all the
problems in the non-conformant FITS files that you have encountered.
I'd like to know about any FITS format errors that fitsverify doesn't
detect.

It would be interesting to see a comprehensive list of all the
conformance errors or warnings that you've found. It should be possible
to write a tool to automatically correct some of the problems, but some
types of errors would probably require expert knowledge about the
contents of the file to correct.

Bill

Dr. William Pence                       William.Pence at nasa.gov
NASA/GSFC Code 662       HEASARC        +1-301-286-4599 (voice)
Greenbelt MD 20771                      +1-301-286-1684 (fax)