[fitsbits] SDFITS Convention Comment: Hardware Keywords

Bob Garwood bgarwood at nrao.edu
Tue Aug 17 16:15:57 EDT 2010

I wrote this  yesterday but haven't sent it yet.  I'm not sure whether
this covers your points yesterday or just readers or what.  Personally,
while I agree there's plenty of room for SDFITS to be improved, I've
mumbled that to various people for years without finding the time to
follow through on that and so after > 10 years writing SDFITS (closer to
20 years) I think its most important to document something that
summarizes how SDFITS has been used in the past without trying to
improve SDFITS right now.

So, here's what I wrote yesterday:

This convention is primarily to document existing usage - there's plenty
of room for improvement, but the history of this convention has shown
that were we to wait for those discussions to happen this convention
would never get documented.  If there's some momentum for extending
sdfits to include additional things - e.g. improving the axes
descriptions in light of the WCS papers that didn't exist when this
convention was written, or expanding the list of SHARED columns, I'd
hope that those discussions could be put off until we've documented
what's already being written [it would be useful to include an Arecibo
example case here, I think.  I'm not sure where else SDFITS might
already be in use].

Since I wasn't at the original meeting in Green Bank where the ideas
behind the SDFITS convention was first discussed, this is simply my
understanding of the intention after talking to a few of the people that
were there.  I think the idea was that SDFITS would primarily be useful
in the exchange of calibrated and reduced data between telescopes and
data analysis packages and it was less useful for exchanging raw data.
We use it at the GBT for raw data by liberally adding lots of
telescope-specific columns.   By the time the data is calibrated the
CORE columns plus the data axes descriptions are what's important.

So, I think in that spirit you should feel free to use whatever keywords
you feel are necessary to fully describe your data, especially for your
internal use and for historical archives, but it's unlikely that a
package not specifically familiar with your data will know what to do
with most of that.

I've always felt that TELESCOP describes the whole thing collecting the
photos.  ALMA is a TELESCOP with multiple antennas.  NRAO-GBT is a
TELESCOP with one antenna.   SDFITS doesn't go into useful keywords,
etc, for collections of spectra from multi-antenna telescopes.  It would
be useful to have a registry of TELESCOP names.

We (GBT sdfits writer) put polarization information into a stokes-like
axis: e.g CTYPE4='STOKES', CRVAL4=-5 (which translates to "XX", ala AIPS
- in that usage negative values aren't really stokes IQUV but they are
recorded in the "STOKES" axis nevertheless).

As per the GB convention that underlies SDFITS - the distinction between
a keyword and a column is very fuzzy.   A keyword is a column with a
constant value.  So there's no reason that FRONTEND couldn't be a
keyword (in fact, that's what we write for the GBT).

-Bob