[fitsbits] WCSAXES usage

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Wed Aug 11 17:19:44 EDT 2010

Hi Bill -

For backwards compatibility I believe we had to define that WCSAXES
is not required when WCSAXES=NAXIS.  Evidently the standard allows
the keyword to be omitted when WCSAXES > NAXIS as well.  However I
suggest that it "should" be provided in this case (although FITS
does not make such a distinction).  It might be nice to issue an
informational warning in such a case, even though it is legal usage.
That is, flag any actual errors, but also issue informational comments
when there is a departure from suggested usage.

 	- Doug