[fitsbits] frequency definitions

Tom Kuiper kuiper at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed May 6 14:47:44 EDT 2009

Mike Nolan wrote:
> FREQREST should be the line frequency, but some writers put it in as the
> center of the band to make some piece of software happy: Some readers need it,
> but if you're doing a raw search, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

We had a situation at CSO  recently in which we wanted two specific
lines (one in each sideband) well positioned in the spectrometer.  We
calculated a frequency that would do that.  That was the frequency which
was Doppler-shifted to tune the receiver.  I would call that FREQREST,
i.e., the frequency we wanted at the center of the band in the source
rest frame.  However, I agree that this makes a velocity scale hard to
interpret.

Regards

Tom