[fitsbits] frequency definitions

Tom Kuiper kuiper at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed May 6 13:50:44 EDT 2009

Bob Garwood wrote:
> Then you ask" What is the difference between FREQ-OBS and FREQREST?".
> But I'm not sure what you mean by "FREQ-OBS".  You should an equation
> earlier (badly formatted in my copy, but I think I understand what you
> meant) showing the difference between OBSFREQ and RESTFREQ, so I don't
> think you mean FREQ-OBS = OBSFREQ.  SDFITS doesn't use FREQ-OBS so I
> think you'll need to ask the creator of that FITS file what they
> meant.   Unless I missed something in a quick scan of the relevent WCS
> paper, I don't see it defined there.

I don't think that is quite what I meant to ask.  FREQ-OBS is a possible
value for TTYPEx.  It refers to some kind of reference frame.  I assume
it means this is a frequency axis defined in the frame of the observer.
OBSFREQ is a keyword and I confess that it's not clear to me why it is
needed if the same information, in some form, is required to define one
of the axes.

Best regards

Tom