[fitsbits] INSTRUME and TELESCOP

Tom Kuiper kuiper at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed May 6 13:29:06 EDT 2009

In the SDFITS documentation I find the meaning of TELESCOP and INSTRUME
quite clear.  (BACKEND seems to be disappearing in favor of INSTRUME.)
However, in CLASS the command
    set telescope <string>
seems to expect a string that identifies both the telescope and the
backend (e.g. "CSO 1GHZ IF3").  On the other hand, in ASAP, the command
    set_instrument(<string>)
seems to want a telescope identifier (e.g. "MOWPRA").  (I haven't
figured out yet how one selects a specific back end in ASAP.)  Because
CLASS and ASAP have a long history I'm reluctant to suggest that either
or both should change but I don't see how either can be fully SDFITS
compliant otherwise.

Your opinions?

Regards

Tom