[fitsbits] substring array convention

William Pence William.Pence at nasa.gov
Mon Mar 9 14:42:06 EDT 2009

One of the changes that was made in the new 3.0 version of the FITS
Standard document was to delete Appendix B, which described 2
conventions for storing arrays of strings in a FITS binary table.  The
rational for deleting this appendix was that it would more appropriate
to document these conventions in the Registry of FITS Conventions, which
I intend to do soon.

One question, however, is whether both of these conventions have
actually been used.  I know that the simpler convention, e.g.,

TFORMn = '120A20'

has been used (in this case, it means that the 120 character string
consists of 6 substrings that are each 20 characters long).

The other, more complex convention has 2 variations.  The first form,
which is equivalent to the above example, is

TFORMn = '120A:SSTR20'

The other variation is

TFORMn = '120A:SSTR20/032'

which signifies that the 120 character field consists of variable-length
substrings where each substring has a maximum length of 20 characters
and is terminated by the ASCII character 32 (which happens to be a space
character).

Does anyone know whether this more complex convention has been used in
any real FITS files?  If so, I'd like to get an example file.

Bill
Dr. William Pence                       William.Pence at nasa.gov
NASA/GSFC Code 662       HEASARC        +1-301-286-4599 (voice)
Greenbelt MD 20771                      +1-301-286-1684 (fax)