[fitsbits] How is NAXISn supposed to work?

Peter Teuben teuben at astro.umd.edu
Mon Apr 27 12:39:47 EDT 2009

ok, gently then. The crux is the (english) language I guess:

"index along axis 1 varies most rapid'

wihch refers to how an array DATA(i,j,k,....)  is indexed.
What they mean to say is that in a 2D example element DATA(i,j)
is followed by DATA(i+1,j)   [and not DATA(i,j+1)].

This is the fortran style of indexing, as opposed to the C style
of indexing, where the last index varies most rapidly.

If I reread the sentence, I'm not confused about the values of NAXISi,
or that NAXIS1 > NAXIS2.., but then again, I've been looking at, and
using this type of data for some time.

- peter