[fitsbits] Hash Functions (MD5 is very obsolete)

Arnold Rots arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu
Mon Jul 21 12:23:22 EDT 2008

The RXTE archive contains SHA(-1) (FIPS 180-1) digests for all its
data products. But, to my knowledge, it has not been used by any users
worried about the integrity of the data they received.

  - Arnold

Rob Seaman wrote:
> Thierry Forveille wrote:
>
> > Is anyone on the list aware of uses of the MD5 checksum in FITS
> > beyond protection against accidental bitflips from bad hardware?
>
> Good question!
>
> If the goal is to protect against data accidents (whatever the cause),
> the FITS checksum should be considered as a strong contender instead
> of any secure hash.
>
> That said, MD5 is used by default for many astronomical data transport
> and archive chores.  As the broader computing communities continue to
> transition to SHA-2, support for MD5-based utilities will narrow.
> Remediating this is certainly not a top priority, however, which is
> why I worded it as a "reminder" :-)
>
> When implementing new systems, there are few good arguments for
> choosing MD5.
>
> Rob

Arnold H. Rots                                Chandra X-ray Science Center
60 Garden Street, MS 67                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu