[fitsbits] Images getting shifted and wrapping on themselves...?

gberz3 gberz3 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 16:41:35 EDT 2008

On Aug 27, 9:33 am, William Pence <William.Pe... at nasa.gov> wrote:
> A phase shift like you describe in the image could be caused if the byte
> offset in the file to the start of the image bytes is calculated
> incorrectly.  The image always starts at the beginning of a 2880-byte
> FITS block, e.g., at byte 2880, 5760, 8640, ..., etc.  and is the first
> FITS block following the header block that contains the END keyword.

Right, and I've verified the 2880 lengths.  However, if it were an
offset issue, then it would simply chop off the remainder, not wrap it
around.  Is that not correct?  The image is actually shifted by "so
many" pixels, and instead of an empty/black/white strip on the left,
it draws the remainder of the image back on that side -- as if it were
on a cylinder of some sort.