[fitsbits] fitsverify and "implied" table columns themselves...?

William Pence William.Pence at nasa.gov
Wed Aug 27 13:39:14 EDT 2008

The new FITS Standard document, in table 8.2, defines the keyword naming
convention (taken from the WCS papers) that one should use if the image
is stored as a multidimensional vector in a binary table column. (See
http://fits.gsfc.nasa.gov/standard30/htmlfiles/fits_standard30index.html
page 77).

Here are some examples, where 'i' is the axis number, 'n' is the column
number that contains the image, and 'a' is the optional alternate axis
label from A to Z):

   Primary Array       Bintable vector
    CTYPEia             iCTYPn or iCTYna
    CRVALia             iCRVLn or iCRVna