[fitsbits] fitsverify and "implied" table columns themselves...?

Mike Nolan nolan at naic.edu
Wed Aug 27 12:14:30 EDT 2008

We're writing radio data in binary tables, and fitsverify hates them:

(nolan at mofongo.naic.edu 133) fitsverify /share/pdata1/pdev/x108.20080826.b0s1g0.
00800.fits

              fitsverify 4.13 (CFITSIO V3.090)
              --------------------------------

File: /share/pdata1/pdev/x108.20080826.b0s1g0.00800.fits

2 Header-Data Units in this file.

=================== HDU 1: Primary Array ===================

 16 header keywords

 Null data array; NAXIS = 0

=================== HDU 2: BINARY Table ====================

*** Error:   Keyword #29, CTYPE1 is not allowed in the Bin/ASCII table.
*** Error:   Keyword #31, CTYPE2 is not allowed in the Bin/ASCII table.
*** Error:   Keyword #44, CTYPE2G is not allowed in the Bin/ASCII table.
... many more similar errors

Some of the WCS parameters are table columns:
COMMENT  axis 1 is the frequency axis
TTYPE6  = 'CRVAL1  '           / Center frequency
TFORM6  = '1D      '           /
TUNIT6  = 'Hz      '           /
TDISP6  = 'D13.5   '           /
TTYPE7  = 'CDELT1  '           / Frequency interval
TFORM7  = '1D      '           /
TUNIT7  = 'Hz      '           /
TDISP7  = 'D13.5   '           /
TTYPE8  = 'CRPIX1  '           / Pixel of center frequency
TFORM8  = '1D      '           /
TUNIT8  = '        '           /
TDISP8  = 'D13.5   '           /

but others are constant, so we're putting them in the table header
per the "Green Bank Convention".
CTYPE1  = 'FREQ    '           / Type of coordinate
CUNIT1  = 'Hz      '           / Unit of center frequency

These files are massive and written at 80 MB/s, so we really don't want to make them any bigger than they have to be.

Does that really make us bad people? Or have I missed something?

Thanks,

-Mike

Mike Nolan +1 787 878 2612x334 Fax: +1 787 878 1861 nolan at naic.edu
Arecibo Observatory, HC 3 Box 53995, Arecibo, Puerto Rico 00612 USA