[fitsbits] Images getting shifted and wrapping on themselves...?

gberz3 gberz3 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 08:55:54 EDT 2008

On Aug 27, 3:05 am, Harro Verkouter <verkou... at jive.nl> wrote:

> I would look at the CRPIXn value - which defines the reference pixel for
> axis #n. A non-zero (or non-one) value [I forget if it's zero or
> one-based] would appear as a shift in the axis: the value of this
> keyword defines the 'logical' zero-point on axis #n.

Except, that information isn't present in these particular images.
The images I'm using have a very simple header:

SIMPLE  =
BITPIX  =                  -16   (a couple have
-32)
NAXIS   =
2
NAXIS1  =
600
NAXIS2  =                  532

Gimp and SAOImage DS9 read them just fine, however my app skews them.
It obviously has something to do with an appropriate "read" mechanism,
but I'm not sure what the difference is supposed to be.  It's also of
note that some of the images are actually turned on their sides by 90
degrees for no apparent reason in SAO and GIMP.  Obviously they are
keying off something in order to perform "correction".