[fitsbits] The CONTINUE and HIERARCH Conventions Public Comment Periods

William Pence pence at milkyway.gsfc.nasa.gov
Mon Sep 10 15:34:35 EDT 2007

Robert Hanisch wrote:
>> The more general HIERARCH convention that is
>> described in the last half of the document disallows spaces in the
>> "effective keyword name", so this example does not conform to that.
>
> But it does NOT disallow spaces, it just says they should be avoided in
> order to avoid confusion, and this was exactly the reason for my example.
> To clarify things it seems this needs text that says that if a long keyword
> name is being specified, only one token after HIERARCH is allowed prior to
> the " = value ".

I agree and will change the document to include that wording to clarify
the convention.

Of course, it would still be perfectly legal in FITS to have a keyword
like your example:

HIERARCH HST-ADVANCED-CAMERA APERTURE$Setting = 2

That keyword would not conform to THIS convention, as defined and used
by ESO, but that doesn't prevent anyone from defining their own
variation on this convention in which this usage could be allowed.

Bill
Dr. William Pence                       pence at milkyway.gsfc.nasa.gov
NASA/GSFC Code 662       HEASARC        +1-301-286-4599 (voice)
Greenbelt MD 20771                      +1-301-286-1684 (fax)