[fitsbits] Definition of "deprecated"

William Pence pence at milkyway.gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed Sep 5 16:49:06 EDT 2007

As I recall, the definition of "deprecate" was carefully crafted to
satisfy the radio interferometry community.  The reason for deprecating
random groups was to prevent their use from spreading beyond their
current use with radio interferometry data files; other types of data
should not be distributed in the random groups format, and instead
should use the more modern binary table structure. The decision to
deprecate random groups was not intended to force the radio
interferometry community to give up using random groups and rewrite all
their software to use binary tables instead.

I think a similar argument can be made for deprecating CROTA.  There are
a huge number of existing instruments that continue to produce data
files containing this keyword, so it is not realistic to expect that
they all be modified to use the newer rotation matrix keywords.  I think
we can "strongly discourage" entirely new intruments and software
systems from relying on the old CROTA keyword, but it would go too far
to disparage any continued use of CROTA as being "bad form".

Bill Pence

Dick Shaw wrote: (27-8-2007)

Dr. William Pence                       pence at milkyway.gsfc.nasa.gov
NASA/GSFC Code 662       HEASARC        +1-301-286-4599 (voice)
Greenbelt MD 20771                      +1-301-286-1684 (fax)