[fitsbits] Comments on proposed FITS draft v3.0

Peter Weilbacher pweilbacher at aip.de
Thu Oct 4 10:11:11 EDT 2007

Hi FITS gurus,

I have looked through the changes of the FITS standard as proposed in
the v3.0 draft and have a two minor comments.

In Sect. 4.4.2.3, the ADS ID is recommended to be used in the REFERENC
keyword. Recently I more and more noticed the use of DOI numbers for
stuff like this (see http://doi.org/). As this seems to be standardized
across many more disciplines than just Physics and Astronomy, should
this not be the recommended way to store a reference? Or perhaps
recommend this in addition to the ADS reference?

Other than that I just noticed that in Table 8.6 footnote 1 is never
quoted. I guess it should be quoted from the caption as in Table 8.5...

Great to see that the units to be used in FITS headers are now
explicitely mentioned in the standard, and that they are marked as case
sensitive, too.

Best regards,
    Peter.
--
Peter Weilbacher                               Phone +49 331 74 99-405
Astrophysikalisches Institut Potsdam             Fax +49 331 74 99-429