[fitsbits] Large FITS files

Robert J. Harris rjharris at cfa.harvard.edu
Mon Jul 30 10:08:07 EDT 2007

Hello,

I'm looking to process large ( > ~ GB) FITS datacubes.  They are large
enough not to load into memory.  What I would like to do is input the
cube, to perform a filtering operation on each plane of the cube, and then
output another cube made up of the planes of the original cube after they
have been processed.  If it weren't for the last part of it, I could use
the extended filename syntax of cfitsio, but I do need to put the planes
back together, and it's not obvious how I might do that.  Any help is
appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Robert Harris