[fitsbits] Start of the CONTINUE keyword Public Comment Period

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Tue Jul 17 17:24:43 EDT 2007

Hi Bill,

> I've revised the documentation about this convention to try to
> address all the comments that have been received so far.  Please
> see the new PDF (or postscript) documentation file available from
> the FITS Registry at
> http://fits.gsfc.nasa.gov/fits_registry.html.

Certainly an improvement.  If we can agree that a broader discussion
of implementing long string support within the standard will follow,
I withdraw any objections from this end to the convention being
registered.

> I don't really see any technical problem with writing the CHECKSUM
> keyword as a continuation over 2 (or more) keywords.  The algorithm
> for initializing the header and calculating the CHECKSUM keyword
> value(s) would need to be modified slightly, but it would still
> follow the same basic procedure.

Indeed, the FITS checksum encoding could accommodate such a
complication, but both writers (or generalized keyword editors) and
readers would have to know about the 32-bit alignment requirements
for CHECKSUM keywords.  To modify my previous example a bit, this
keyword:

	CHECKSUM= 'nADTnADQnADQnADQ'    /  ASCII 1's complement checksum

is not the same as this expression of overtly the same value:

	CHECKSUM= 'nADTnADQn&      '    /  ASCII 1's complement checksum
	CONTINUE  'ADQnADQ'

The 32-bit integer alignment is different, breaking the 1's
complement legerdemain.  Other keywords won't have this peculiar
requirement, but additional semantic or logistical complications can
be anticipated.

- Rob