[fitsbits] Start of the CONTINUE keyword Public Comment Period

William Pence pence at milkyway.gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Jul 12 14:41:11 EDT 2007

Peter Teuben wrote:
>   perhaps it would be useful to explicitly mention that the & character is
> not part of the resulting keyword value.
>
> And also make the example shorter so you can easily show the equivalent string
> in a single-keyword example:

Agreed. I'll make these changes in the next version of the documentation.

Thomas McGlynn wrote:
> It might be useful to explicitly address some corner cases, e.g.,
> long strings that end in &.
>
>    SVALUE   = 'This is a long string &'
>    CONTINUE   'really long &'
>    COMMENT    'But is this part of it?'
>    CONTINUE   'Or is this?'
>
> I guess that the intended value of SVALUE in this case is
>      'This is a long string really long &'

Correct.  If a string value ends with an `&' and is NOT followed
by a CONTINUE keyword, then the `&' character is interpreted literally
as the last character of the string value).

> You might also wish to explicitly note what is supposed
> to be done with a CONTINUE statement that doesn't follow
> a string ending in &.  Presumably it is to be ignored.
>
>     SVALUE  = 'This is a short string'
>     CONTINUE  'And this is not part of it'

Yes.  Software should treat orphaned CONTINUE keywords the same as a
COMMENT keyword.  Software that doesn't support this convention at all
should treat all the CONTINUE keywords this way.  I'll revise the
documentation to explicitly cover these cases.

Bill Pence
Dr. William Pence                       pence at milkyway.gsfc.nasa.gov
NASA/GSFC Code 662       HEASARC        +1-301-286-4599 (voice)
Greenbelt MD 20771                      +1-301-286-1684 (fax)