[fitsbits] Question(s) regarding development of proprietary FITS manipulation software. . .

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Fri Aug 24 16:18:24 EDT 2007

On Fri 2007-08-24T14:40:50 -0400, Michael Williams hath writ:
> Alright, I've looked at RFC 4047, and I'm not much better off.

Yes.

I am very reticent to write this, but in the absence of a lot
better notion of what exactly is the goal here my reaction is
a lot like the Dilbert strip from 1995-11-17:

PHB:            I want to build a relational database.
Dilbert:        Ok. What color do you want?
PHB:            I think mauve has the most RAM.

FITS guarantees that the data will be accessible to posterity -- syntax.
Aside from the most basic structures about storage of arrays and tables,
FITS guarantees almost nothing about semantics.

--
Steve Allen                 <sla at ucolick.org>                WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory        Natural Sciences II, Room 165    Lat  +36.99855