[fitsbits] Abuse of EXTEND keyword

LC's NoSpam Newsreading account nospam at mi.iasf.cnr.it
Fri Aug 24 05:43:29 EDT 2007

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007, Randall Thompson wrote:

> You are basically saying that EXTEND=F, EXTEND=T, or leaving it out
> completely all mean the same thing; namely, extensions may or may not
> exist.

Hence the reason for deprecation.

> By the way, we get many files delivered for archiving within MAST
> that use both the EXTEND and the NEXTEND keyword. Although not a
> reserved keyword, NEXTEND is commonly used to describe the
> number of included extensions. I guess we are in the minority on this,

Maybe you could register a "convention" about NEXTEND.

Providing the number of extensions in the primary header seems a
very reasonable thing for me, if the file is intended to be static.

What will be a file with no extension in your convention ?

 - no keyword at all
 - EXTEND=F and no NEXTEND kwd
 - EXTEND=F and NEXTEND=0
 - EXTEND=T and NEXTEND=0