[fitsbits] Abuse of EXTEND keyword

Randall Thompson rthomp at stsci.edu
Fri Aug 24 08:12:17 EDT 2007

 I understand this point however you can not prevent users
from adding their own (conforming) keywords  If the consensus is that
there should not be any connection between the primary header and
extensions.
perhaps this should be stated in the revised standard. For example,
state that it
should be possible to add extensions without requiring any changes to the
primary header. This would of course deprecate the EXTEND keyword.

Randy