[fitsbits] Proposed Changes to the FITS Standard

William Pence pence at milkyway.gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue Aug 21 15:36:57 EDT 2007

William Thompson wrote:
> The SECCHI instrument on the STEREO mission produces some files with table
> extensions, and other files which don't.  The value of the EXTEND keyword is set
> to either T or F to account for this.

Strictly speaking, this does not conform to the definition of the EXTEND
keyword in the FITS Standard, which states that the value field *shall*
contain a logical constant with the value T, and thus must never be set
to F.    All the more reason I think to demote this keyword by making it
optional instead of required if the file contains extensions.

Bill Pence
Dr. William Pence                       pence at milkyway.gsfc.nasa.gov
NASA/GSFC Code 662       HEASARC        +1-301-286-4599 (voice)
Greenbelt MD 20771                      +1-301-286-1684 (fax)