[fitsbits] Question(s) regarding development of proprietary FITS manipulation software. . .

Michael Williams gberz3 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 18:04:38 EDT 2007

Maren,

I understand that.  But many of the sample FITS files we've been
given have ASCII data in a header, then literally an accompanying
"picture"; unless, of course, it's simply a matter of the programs
we're using automatically interpreting the "picture".  Is this
incorrect?  Our concern is how to properly display the "picture" and
what relationship it has to other "picture" formats.

If it's not a picture, then what is it *exactly*?  Simple plots of
data?  How is it to be interpreted?  We've got a TON of data
regarding what FITS is supposed to be, but nothing regarding the
actual interpreting of data.

Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Michael